To receive our newsletter please enter your email address below
Godh Bharai is a special occasion for the Hindu married woman. This is celebrated during 7th month of pregnancy in North India. In other parts of India also this event is very common. In different parts, this occasion is famous with different names. It's known as Shaad in Bengal, Seemandham in Kerala, and Valaikappu in Tamil Nadu.
During seventh month of pregnancy, the baby reaches the safe stage. During this occasion, lap of the mother is filled with various gifts and fruits.
This is a great occasion for sharing special moments of pregnancy with your close friends and relatives. Support of family and friends is necessary for making this event more special and memorable. During this occasion, everyone showers the baby in the womb with blessings.
Significance of Godh Bharai
During this occasion, lap of the expectant lady is filled with various items by her mother and mother- in- law, as well as the relatives and guests. These items include coconut marked with swastik, betel nuts, silver coins and moong. These items are considered as good omen in the Indian tradition.
The mother-to-be is dressed almost like a bride. This event is precisely for the women and men have no place here. All ladies offer gifts and shower the mother and the baby with blessings. They sing traditional songs and dance to their heart's content. Holy hymns are chanted by the priest and everyone prays for the well-being for the expectant lady and the baby in the womb.
Tips for making Godh Bharai more interesting and enjoyable
It would be better to take proper rest before the event as it can be tiring and hectic for the pregnant mother. Here check out some tips to make it all the more exciting.
1. Select a beautiful and comfortable outfit for the Godh Bharai occasion. Don’t prefer heavy outfits during summer.
2. Keep a record of all gifts and accessories given by the guests so that you can thank them later personally. You can also prepare thank-you tokens in advance.
3. You can also opt for return gifts. This is the best idea for thanking guests.
4. Hire a professional mehendi designer so that ladies attending the event can make the best use of the time.
5. Make sure that there are plenty of activities that will help keeping the guest engaged.
6. You should plan the menu in advance so that there are no last minute hassles.
7. The arrangements must be done well in advance. The elders in the family will have to take care of it.
8. The event can be very tiring, so you must ensure that you have all your medicines and food on time. And if you feel any sort of discomfort, do inform the elders around.
The event will be a memorable one and you will cherish it throughout your life. Just take care of your health and don't stress yourself too much.