To receive our newsletter please enter your email address below
The health conscious around the globe swear by the many wonders of Green Tea. Of late, green tea has emerged to be the synonym of health. From health experts to the common mass, everyone can be heard vouching for green tea and its immense health benefits.
Be it weight loss, keeping certain diseases at bay, therapeutic effects or keeping your skin and body healthy; green tea does it all. And this is the very reason, it has become a hit amongst people. Well, this was just one side of the coin, did you know the other one? We are sure most of you will only relate to the good effects of green tea; counting the green tea side effects may sound surprising to all. But the fact is that there are some green tea side effects you must be aware of.
Today we have got for you the 6 green tea side effects that would surely change your outlook and perception towards this health boon. Have a look:
Major Green Tea Side Effects
1. The Caffeine Trouble: When we talk of caffeine, then the only image to come up in the mind is of a hot cup of coffee. But your cup of green tea also contributes to it. Yes, green tea too contains caffeine. Though it has comparatively lesser content of caffeine as to its counterparts, but drinking around 3-5 cups of it in a day can surely lead to some health issues. These include insomnia, nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach, and in some people it can even lead to frequent urination. So if you are an avid green tea drinker and happen to notice any of these symptoms, do cut down the number.
2. Risky for Pregnant and Lactating Women: Pregnancy and lactation are surely the sweetest yet the most delicate times for a woman. Consuming high amount of green tea during pregnancy can increase the risk of miscarriages along with many other negative effects. If you are pregnant, limit your green tea intake to just two cups a day. However, it would be great if you can completely refrain from green tea for this period. Also, for the lactating women, caffeine present in it can pass into the breast milk thus affecting the nursing infant.
3. Intervention with Medication: This is one among the green tea side effects and is quite shocking and ironical. Green tea has been in use since ages given its anticancer properties and is no less than a miracle herb. But strangely, the polyphenols found in green tea that are known for their curative properties, were also reported of blocking the anticancer properties of bortezomib, a drug.
4. Not An Ideal Choice During Fasting: Researches have shown that green tea, if taken during fasting, can lead to toxicity. This even includes the gastrointestinal, liver and renal toxicities. So far these tests have only been conducted on animals but chances are very high that humans will also have the same symptoms if they drink tea during fasting.
5. Iron Deficiency: Shocked? But it's true. Too much green tea consumption is known to increase the chances of iron deficiency. And it's one of the major green tea side effects. This is because it has a substance called tannins that plays a major role in blocking the absorption of iron in the body from the food and other supplements.
6. Osteoporosis: We are sure you must be wondering as to what connects osteoporosis and green tea. So let us explain you how the two are linked. Experts state that consuming excess of green tea (more than a cup in a day) increases the amount of calcium that's flushed out in the urine. And this is no hidden fact that calcium deficiency results in weakness of bones. Keep your green tea intake limited to 300 milligrams a day.
It's really surprising to see that something as healthy as green tea can have side effects too. But this is what the facts state. It's only good to a certain limit and beyond that it can take a toll on your health. Don't over-indulge yourself in green tea thinking that it's the best way to keep yourself healthy. It is healthy only if you know where to put the limit. So from now on, don't be a blind follower of green tea. Be wise & stay healthy!