To receive our newsletter please enter your email address below
Beauty happens to be gifted but it can surely be refined and made more appealing with some of the natural and man-made things. The market is flooded with beauty products of different types wherein each is designed to resolve a specific beauty related problem. While you may be aware of the product you buy but, there are certain ingredients used in them which might take you aback. Though completely natural, these ingredients used in various hair and cosmetic products are pretty gross.
Check out the bizarre beauty ingredients:
1. Snail Slime: Dermatologists recommend the use of snail slime as it contains mucin extract. Mucin is a complex of elastin, proteins and glycolic acids. It has rich regenerative properties and also helps in moisturizing the skin. Often used in facials, it reduces scars and skin pigmentation.
2. Sheep grease: Lanolin is a substance obtained from the fur of animals that bear wool. It is generally subjected to use in making lipsticks, lotions and makeup removers. Lanolin produces emollient action that lasts for long and when applied directly on skin, it reduces roughness and enhances skin smoothness.
4. Bird and mink oil: Few of the sunscreens, shaving creams, and hairsprays contain mink oil or oil from flightless birds like the emu. It leaves a silky and smooth effect after use.
5. Hyaluronic Acid: This is the basic ingredient in all your anti-ageing skincare products. It's basically an antioxidant that encourages collagen synthesis. Though it may appeal to as a perfect skin care product but you may be a little shocked to know that this acid is obtained from the human umbilical cords as well as rooster combs.
6. Carmine: You just love that red lipstick of yours, don't you. Well, you get this amazing shade because of Carmine, a red dye which is even used in rouge, eye shadow and many other cosmetics. It is a common ingredient in the products that are bright red in color. This Carmine is made of a red pigment from a crushed female cochineal insect. It has been reported that in order to get one pound of this dye, around 70,000 beetles need to be killed. It's quite Bloody!
7. Collagen: Collagen loss is said to be the reason behind facial ageing. But the collagen that's supposedly present in the skin care products doesn't help you much as it fails to get absorbed deeply into the skin. And the more turning off factor is that this collagen in the skin creams is obtained from chicken feet.
8. Glucosamine: This ingredient is said to act as a barrier enhancer, moisturizer that helps with evening out your skin tone. It’s basically found in the exoskeleton of various animals but is most prominently obtained from chicken bone marrow.
No matter how weird they sound to be, experts recommend them widely given the wonderful effects they have on your skin and beauty.