To receive our newsletter please enter your email address below
Our life is ruled by the decisions we make. Every now and then, we have some or the other decision to take. Whether it is about taking a leave from office, switching on to a new project or job, shifting base, or for that matter buying a dress; everywhere you need to make a decision.
Why Decision Making is important?
Interestingly, despite making decisions on our own, we often tend to crib or complain. Why is that we end up regretting some of our decisions? Have you also felt that sometimes your decisions go wrong? Well, the prime reason behind this is putting least of thoughts while taking a decision. We are in so much hurry that we never give enough time to analyze and decide in a rush. Good decisions make good character. This is the reason decision making is so important in life. It is one skill that needs to be instilled from an early age.
How it benefits the kids?
We are sure you don't want your kids to be poor decision makers when they grow up. Start inculcating this skill at this very age so that as grown up adults they take all of their decisions wisely without regretting any. Your child can get many benefits from taking their decisions on own. The right decision-making skill will greatly influence how he behaves and gets along with others.
Also, it will shape him into the type of adult he becomes and the life he chooses.
Building Decision Making Skills in Kids
To make sure that your kids become effective decision makers, you will have to constantly work at developing this habit in them. Here check out some ways that can help you build this essential skill in them:
1. Nurture positivity: Positive thinking is very important when it comes to effective decision making. You will have to see that your child is given a positive environment everywhere; whether at school or home. He must be taught that everything is possible if handled in the right manner.
2. Involve him in your decisions: This is one great way to help the child practice the art. You can involve your child's suggestion when planning the dinner menu, deciding upon gift ideas for someone's birthday or any other occasion, selecting the wall color, or for any random activity where you feel they can come up with some suggestion.
3. Teach brainstorming: Good decisions are taken when the mind thinks from every perspective. Therefore, help your child learn this art by introducing them to brainstorming. Give them tasks wherein they can can come up with multiple ideas, and also ask them why they think the ideas can be good. This will help kids in looking at a problem or situation from every perspective.
4. Allow them to take decisions: They for sure are very young to master the art and would need your guidance all the time. But there is no harm in making them take some minor decisions now and then so there lies a scope for learning. These can be related to their choice of dress, the activity they wish to take part in school, any hobby they desire to learn and a lot more. This way they will learn to take charge of their life in a good way.
5. Let them make mistakes: Even after growing up, we tend to go wrong with our decisions. So there is nothing wrong if your child stumbles. This is his learning stage, let him make mistakes. This is how he will learn to be a good decision maker in future. His learning will prevent him from making similar kind of mistakes ahead.
Taking a good decision: The Key Steps to Follow
Once you teach your kids the ways to make decisions, you should next aim at helping them take the decisions in the right manner. And for this, the following 7 rules can be of great help. Any decision taken following these rules will be an effective one.
1. Bring Mind at Peace: The very first is to bring the mind to peace as peaceful mind will be open to good ideas and thoughts.
2. Stay positive and calm: Teach them to stay positive when taking a decision. Losing the temper can only lead to a bad outcome.
3. Identify the problem: The next step involves identifying the problem. The child must be able to figure out what has caused the problem.
4. Look at the choices: Next comes considering the choices or possible options available for the given problem or situation. This eases the process of taking a decision.
5. Evaluate the choices: Once the choices are clear, the next step involves evaluating the consequence for each of the choice so that all points are taken into consideration before making the final call.
6. Understand what matters the most: Then comes figuring what exactly matters the most so that the best among the choices is selected.
7.Take the decision: Now they are ready to take the decision.
Decision making is one power that your kids will need at every point of life. Make sure that you build the base from today only!