To receive our newsletter please enter your email address below
STRESS, TENSION, DEPRESSION, ANXIETY...the list here will go on if we are asked to list down the problems of your everyday life. There passes no single day when we don't have complaints to make. From a homemaker to a student, or a teenager to a professional, everyone has his share of grievances and worries. While we may have everything in our respective lives, the one thing which is commonly missing happens to be 'Happiness'.
Happiness is a very simple concept; but still many don't realize it. We want to be happy but the irony is that we search for happiness in the wrong places. Some find it in materialistic things like owning a big house, latest gadgets, luxury cars and more. But few stay happy without a big reason to justify that. So what is it that actually makes us happy?
Well, it's just the perspective. The way we look at things in life plays a major role in deciding the happiness quotient. Sometimes we ourselves create problems that make us unhappy. Being happy is a choice that we make. And it's all in our attitude. All we need to do is, get over the barriers that don't let us be happy.
So, here check out the 7 barriers which you need to overcome today in order to welcome Happiness in your life. Have a look:
1. Being in the 'Phone Zone': Now this one is very important. Technology is certainly good and one needs it at every point of time. However, leading life like a machine is not advisable. Do you remember how carefree you were during your childhood days? There was no facebook, or whatsapp but you still stayed connected with your friends. You had time to enjoy, meet over the weekends and talk endlessly. But today all this happens via phone. Try and limit this. Instead of saying a Hello on facebook or writing on your friend's wall, why don't you give him a surprise visit? Meet for weekends, and talk over a cup of tea. Take break from work and plan some quality get-togethers. Making it a regular activity will surely ease the burden of stress and lighten up your heart.
2. Too much of 'Gossiping': 'You know our neighbor's daughter, arey that Mrs. Sharma's daughter; she is having a boyfriend'. Well, we all have people around who just love talking about anything or say everything under the sun. Spying in others life is what interests them the most. You can rely on them for any news from the next door. They may not be aware as to what's happening in the world around, but they for sure know what's cooking in their neighbor's house. Beware of such people! And we really mean that when we say it. Their company will give you no good to know information except for some baseless and meaningless gossip that affects you the least. So why indulge your mind in listening to something that does no good. Stay away from gossiping if you want your mind to be free of trash!
3. Feeding negative thoughts: 'I can't do it', 'I will never succeed' or 'I'm good for nothing'; in a day we have plenty of moments when we talk negatively about ourselves. Too much of negativity is not good for our inner health. It lowers down our self-esteem and kills our self-confidence. True, there can be things which may be beyond your skill or capability. But instead of saying 'I Can't'; replace it with a 'I will try' or the 'I Can' attitude. When you approach things or people with a positive outlook, there are least possibilities of failing. Stop nurturing negative thoughts; it's time to bring in some positivity in life.
4. Comparisons with others: 'Your friend owns a bungalow while you are still living in a rented house'. 'You are always worried about your cousin earning more than you'. Half of the time we stay busy in thinking what we are lacking in life as compared to others. You are worried that your friend has a bungalow but you never think about the way that can help you get your own house. You don't have to see what others are doing around. We all have different lives and principles. What is correct for you may not be the right way for others. Be thankful for what you have and strive to make your life better, not to prove anyone else but for yourself. When you stop comparing your life with that of others and start counting the blessings you have got, you will never be discontented. And this matters a lot for happiness.
5. Overloading yourselves: Work is very important but not at the cost of your mental peace and harmony. The work life and personal front should never be overlapped. Keep them as two different entities. Don't over-indulge in any activity. Keep it to a limit so that you can give your best shot. Take up responsibilities which you think can be fulfilled on time and with perfection. Overloading will only leave you exhausted at the end and can even affect your quality of work.
6. Living in the past: What has happened in the past can never be brought back. Remembering the mistakes of past can help you in taking the right decisions in future. But sticking to the sad memories of the past will never let you grow. Past is a closed chapter of your life and no matter how much time you re-visit the page, there's nothing you can change or revise. So why hold on to something that does no good at present. Learn to live in the present, by being considerate about the future. Again, don't just live in making plans for future life. What has gone or what is to come is beyond your control. Live in the present, enjoying every moment and doing your very best.
7. Running away from problems: No matter where you go and hide, the problems will never leave you. If you think by avoiding them for some time, you can get rid of them then you are deeply mistaken. Everyone in life has problems and they are part of life. Never give up on problems. Look for a positive solution and fight it out. Once you learn the art of tackling them instead of avoiding, you will notice how the number goes down.
Staying happy or unhappy is all about a choice. No one in the world can force you into a happy or gloomy state unless you want it yourselves. Enjoy life to the fullest and keep smiling. For when you face life with a smile on your face, it always smiles back!